Visiting Finland July 2015

Onko mielessäsi nojapyöriin tai nojapyöräilyyn liittyvä kysymys? Haluatko kertoa kokemuksistasi? Kirjoita tänne ja saat varmasti vastauksia.
David

Visiting Finland July 2015

Viesti Kirjoittaja David »

Hei kaikille,
Olen David, australialainen mies. Vaimoni on suomalainen, 2 lapseni syntynyt Espoossa. Olen asunut Espoossa noin 6 vuotta välillä 1999 ja 2005.
OK, now may I switch to English? Puhunvähän suomea , mutta ei tarpeeksi. I used Google Transate to help type this.

It is not confirmed yet but my family and I will be visiting my wife's parents in Espoo, most likely in July for about 3 weeks. This is my first Summer visit for a long time. The last 2 times we visited in the Winter which coincides with the long school holidays here (Brisbane).

The problem is I have been riding recumbents for about 10 months. I commute to work 5 days per week on my HPV Grasshopper (non-folding) 19 km there and back, and ride a Bacchetta Corsa on weekends for pleasure. I try and ride both days, but that's not always possible. Like some 'bent riders, I have too many bikes.

My current bikes are:
HP Velotechnik Grasshopper non-folding
Bacchetta Corsa
Bike E
Trisled Gizmo trike (older model, Australian made)
Cheap copy of Hase Kettweisel delta trike

Recently sold:
Greenspeed Anura delta trike
Kotzur - Australian made, long wheel base, 2 wheeler.

I ride everyday and my fear is not riding for a month on these holidays. We'll be about 1 week in the UK and 3 weeks in Finland. Possibly 1 week of that will be in a Summer cottage somewhere.

These are my options. I hope someone can help me with a solution.

1. Go without for 4 weeks
  2. Buy a used bike in the UK and use it there and take it to Finland, then leave it there or bring it home to Brisbane
  3. Buy a used bike in Finland to use and bring it home
  4. Buy a new bike (tax free for me) in the UK or Finland, then bring it home
  5. Borrow a bike in Finland (and not ride for that 1st week in the UK)
  6. Buy an upright/normal cheapy to get me through and leave it in Finland

Last time I was there (Christmas/New Year 2013), I borrow my father-in-laws 1970s 5-speed Raleigh Sprite. It's a nice bike but the Winter headwinds were very frustrating to ride in.

My recent thoughts:

1. Buy an ICE B1/B2 2 wheel 'bent from the UK. It folds/disassembles, apparently into suitcase size.
  2. Buy a used or new HPV Grasshopper FX in UK/Finland. It would be ideal for Finland's paths and forest paths. I love my Grasshopper, but being older, it doesn't fold nor have disc brakes. I do occasionally have need for a folding bike (I have them too :) ) and I do prefer disc brakes for wet weather riding. Yes it does rain in Brisbane and when it does it rains very heavily. I have been searching for a used Grasshopper FX, but there are none for sale here.
  3. I also enquired about a Lighning P-38 from USA with S&S couplings. It too could go into a suitcase. It would most likely be very expensive (as would be a new or used GH)

There's always the option to buy one of these ... http://www.polkupyorakauppa.fi/matkaaja-nojapyora.html MATKAAJA NOJAPYÖRÄ. Cheap anyway. Maybe my mother-in-law would like it after I finished with it. I don't mean that in a bad way. She likes bikes.

Another thought is buying a Brompton tax free. They are expensive little bikes. The perfect traveller. But it doesn't have the comfort of a recumbent.

Anybody have any ideas?

Oh yeah ... Hyvä kevät!

PW
KOM

Re: Visiting Finland July 2015

Viesti Kirjoittaja PW »

Welcome to forum and also to Finland.
I found cheap one http://www.nojapyorafoorumi.fi/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3711 DIY lowracer :mrgreen:

Petri

Nojapyöräfoorumi toimii hyvin, aina saa vastauksen vaikkei kysyiskään mitään.

David

Thanks Petri.
Not so good for the forest trails you have over there. Good for chasing moose/elk along the road I suppose :)

Pastori
Pistosuojattu sisällöntuottaja
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Pastori »

Because you have to get Brompton. Buy second hand Brompton from London (use ebay.co.uk).
Someone will borrow recumbent for you here in Finland.

kissaniitty
Sisällöntuottajakokelas

Viesti Kirjoittaja kissaniitty »

Hi David!
Welcome to (hopefully) warm and sunny Finland! I have an idea:

http://www.nojapyorafoorumi.fi/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3088

This Grasshopper FX is still for sale and in excellent condition, I have tried it myself. Current price is 1500€ and I think it might be negotiable :) I would buy it myself if I didn't have my Azub 5...

cheers, Timo Kissaniitty

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike. ~ John F. Kennedy

Current fleet: Hase Tagun (2021-) - Hobie Mirage Oasis (2014-) - Specialized Source Elite Disc (2015-) - Radius C4 (2016-) - Trek Farley 5 (2019-) - Tern Link D7i (2020-)

David

Welcome to (hopefully) warm and sunny Finland!

Thanks. I hope it is too. I tell people Finland is the paradise of the North. I think Finns would like to keep it their little secret though.

I assumed that GH FX was sold being an old advertisement. I just spent some minutes using Google translate. Some very funny translations come up ... Giant Squirrel (JättiOrava), Squirrel University (Jatti Orava) and others :)

I am interested in the bike I will PM/message Giant Squirrel :)

Thanks Timo.

David

Because you have to get Brompton. Buy second hand Brompton from London

Thanks Pastori.
Do you have a Brompton?
I'd love to have one, but can't justify the $$. I did test ride 1 or 2. My Dahon Jetstream P8 rides better :)
Still on my list though.

Pastori
Viesti:

David kirjoitti:

Because you have to get Brompton. Buy second hand Brompton from London

Thanks Pastori.
Do you have a Brompton?
I'd love to have one, but can't justify the $$. I did test ride 1 or 2. My Dahon Jetstream P8 rides better :)
Still on my list though.

Yes, i have. Here's pic from last summer - i ride a week in Gotland and i have Bob Yak trailer on back.

Fårö_brom.jpg

Dahon could be ok on road - but Brommie is so small when you put it on package. And.. that Dahon what i ride, it really was't on same level with Brompton.

Kuva

Both of Brommies in that pic are second hand - these aro not so expensive that you expect.

David

Damn you Pastori!
Everytime I look at photos of Bromptons I want one. Great photo of them on the ferry ... and yes I would like to ferry hop between islands too.
What a great, versatile bike.

David

I wonder if my wife would notice 2 bikes in the luggage??

jooseha

Viesti Kirjoittaja jooseha »

Prombton has just perfect wheelbase and tire size for BobYak :)
Oletko kokeillut bobia p300:ssa? Olisi hauska mato :)

Pastori
Viesti:

jooseha kirjoitti:

Prombton has just perfect wheelbase and tire size for BobYak :)
Oletko kokeillut bobia p300:ssa? Olisi hauska mato :)

En oo - se oli vaan lainassa männä kesänä. P300 olis ollu helpompi laittaakin - kun ei ole vaihteiston säätöongelmia kuten Bromptonissa.

David

A few pictures of 3 bikes ...
Sorry about the sunshine. It's awfully hot and sunny here :)
Hope you can see these photos ... No.
Not good at using the this site (in Finnish). Links instead ...

June 2014 (our Winter)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128874387 ... 586685608/

October 2014 (our Spring)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128874387 ... 586884120/

March 2015 (last Sunday)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128874387 ... 154326683/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128874387 ... 588109799/

Vastaa Viestiin