Wanted: nojapyörä

Nojapyörien kauppapaikka.
rylivin

Wanted: nojapyörä

Viesti Kirjoittaja rylivin »

Sorry for the English...

I am looking for a used recumbent bike. I have only ever ridden normal upright bikes and I would like to switch to a recumbent as they just seem awesome (especially for my commute).

Can anyone give advantages/disadvantages between having the handlebars up in front or below?

I am not looking for anything fancy. I have built up both my normal bikes and don't mind making repairs (especially if it means the price is less! :).

Thanks!!

Ryan

jcase

Re: Wanted: nojapyörä

Viesti Kirjoittaja jcase »

Hey Ryan,

I think the handlebars question is mostly a matter of preference. Personally I find the idea of holding on to a handlebar in front of me while sitting down on a recumbent a bit of an unnecessary ergonomical difficulty. Blood flow to the hands is a lot easier and center of gravity a bit lower if the handlebars are below or by the seat.

I was just taking a look at this forum after a few years. I've had my ankle recently operated and now I'm in for a 6-12 months recovery. That ankle has kept me from riding my trike (and will do so for this season too) so I've decided to sell it. I don't have recent photos yet, but I will soon. Keep on eye on this forum if you're interested in a three-wheeler. Mine is an aluminium framed Performer and it's seen way too few kilometers in my use.

rylivin

Thanks for the reply! Sorry to hear about your ankle. The trikes look interesting as well but my apartment building's bike room is already packed (and very small to begin with). That looks like a really nice brand though! If the handle bars are just a preference then I think I like the look/idea of the lower handle bars but I would probably buy either.

mhelander
Pistosuojattu sisällöntuottaja

Viesti Kirjoittaja mhelander »

I've got four 'bents and three different steering setups. All are OSS, Over the Seat Steering and none USS (Under..). As I'm carefully trying to keep aerodynamics good and thus enabling faster speeds, most are optimized for that.

Easiest is remote steering setup in my offroad bent, there is flat handlebar which works like steering in any upright commuter or MTB bike. Anyone can ride that bent, even ones who have hard times to stay upright in my other bents.

Kuva

Then two road bents have so called praying mantis setup, there handlebar is very narrow and connected to tiller setup pointing backwards. Thus steering requires not turning but throwing handlebar sideways.

Kuva

And last, Front Wheel Driven (FWD) Moving Botton Bracket (MBB) bent has so called OC, Open Cockpit where handlebar is wide to put arms almost straight forward in side of legs, and handlebar shaped so that it clears moving legs.

Kuva

Hope this helps. And remember, some bents are designed to take both OSS and USS steering setups so if you've got one, experimenting both is then possible.

-Mika

Käytössä: omavalmisteet Evo off-roader @ 2015 & Vendetta kopio @ 2012, tehtaalta M5 CrMo Lowracer @ 2010
Myydyt: Proto off-roader omavalmiste @ 2012-2016, MetaPhysic (26"/29er & 700c) @ 2011-2017.

janx
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja janx »

Hi Ryan,
Where are you living? Meetings are arranged at Helsinki several times a year. There is a possible to test-drive some bikes.

One possibility is on National championship race at Nokia (first weekend of August).

"The haters gonna hate and the lovers gonna love. I just lean back and ride." -janx (Kotisivut)
CLWB2008c (09-12), Nazca ePaseo (06/12-), 20/26 SWB Fenix (08/17-) & Spectri (03/19-)
Keskustelukanavat - #recumbents:matrix.org ja #nojapyorat:matrix.org

vaaka

Viesti Kirjoittaja vaaka »

Hi i am a first year recumbent cyclist. I learned with my under steered bike that has direct steering. That means that the front wheel turns quickly to the point of being twitchy. Great for avoiding obstacles not so for driving slowly like in starting and steep up hills. It can be squirmy up the hills at low speeds. Indirect steered have been described to be less fussy at slow speeds but i cannot confirm because i have no experience of other models. Otherwise i see no other problem sources other than in case of a crash your fingers could get stuck or the sticks, levers and cables could get damaged. The big plus for under seat steering is that it is soooo comfy for long rides especially. The upper arm can remain vertical so no muscle needs to strain to maintain the arm in place. Gravity and skeleton at work. Lower arm can rest on the horizontal part of the bar if you want to rest the arm. It is quick to get to the brake and gear levers from there. Much better than from arm resting on the stomach.

rylivin

Thanks to all for the replies! Nice to hear about the different kinds and some of the differences. I am in the Helsinki area would would be interested in coming to the meetings. It looks like I would be most interested in a USS but again I guess what I am really looking for is a bike that is pulled out of someones garage/basement/barn. The FWD is an interesting concept. Is it difficult to turn tightly as your legs need to shift as well?

mhelander

Viesti Kirjoittaja mhelander »

rylivin kirjoitti:

The FWD is an interesting concept. Is it difficult to turn tightly as your legs need to shift as well?

Not really. It's something rider learns while just riding along, and at least mine is built for road (racing) speeds thus slow speed maneuvering isn't key factor. It's little harder to steer in slow speeds or climbing slowly, that is combination of legs steering while pedaling and added weight of legs if legs aren't actively participating to steering effort.

All that is something that is learned during first couple of hundred km's and then it's second nature. I've found out that riding both fixed boom RWD bents and FWD-MBB, latter teaches very even pedaling stroke which is beneficial also for riding RWD's.

There is so much more benefits in FWD-MBB that despite owning two good commercial RWD bents, all my road riding is done using FWD-MBB. It's more responsiveness, simpler to maintain and overall faster. Only unknown variable is that do you learn to ride it or not, non-MBB bents are easier for sure.

-Mika

Käytössä: omavalmisteet Evo off-roader @ 2015 & Vendetta kopio @ 2012, tehtaalta M5 CrMo Lowracer @ 2010
Myydyt: Proto off-roader omavalmiste @ 2012-2016, MetaPhysic (26"/29er & 700c) @ 2011-2017.

janx
Viesti:

Ryan: Now there is a open search of date for a meeting (at Helsinki kansalaistori on May): http://www.nojapyorafoorumi.fi/viewtopi ... =23&t=4167 < sorry, it's only in finnish.
Add suitable dates on Doodle if you're interesting about it. (http://doodle.com/43agrhhuxpw2wk94) < The form "closes" on 17.5.2015.
If you need a better translation, ask here. :)

"The haters gonna hate and the lovers gonna love. I just lean back and ride." -janx (Kotisivut)
CLWB2008c (09-12), Nazca ePaseo (06/12-), 20/26 SWB Fenix (08/17-) & Spectri (03/19-)

janx
Viesti:

The date is 22.5.2015: http://www.nojapyorafoorumi.fi/viewtopi ... =23&t=4167
I hope there will be other than just me and Wacky. :) Or just Wacky... my front derailleur needs some repair and adjustment. :roll:

rylivin

Thanks! I will be there this Friday but maybe not till 1715.

Ryan

janx
Viesti:

rylivin kirjoitti:

Thanks! I will be there this Friday but maybe not till 1715.
Ryan

You're welcome. I'll be there between 17-18. The weather should be great +16-18. :mrgreen:

Vastaa Viestiin