Porkkalalantie 50% resurfaced

Yleistä keskustelua velomobiileista ja polkuautoista.
gutvyo

Porkkalalantie 50% resurfaced

Viesti Kirjoittaja gutvyo »

For those of you from Espoo or Kirkkonummi area: Porkkalalantie was always a fun beautiful road for cycling, and especially for Velos. Now the first 10 km are resurfaced and have a very good asphalt. The next 10 or so are not great, but can be ridden fast if one is looking out for the potholes.
In the last two weeks I saw more and more roadies riding there, so there is what to play with :D
The road is about 19 km one direction, no big hills but not boaring flat, many nice turns. Traffic is moderate, many motorcyclists in the weekend. Adding some ride from home, for me the round trip is 70km which is excellent.
My favourite ride now.

VeloWagoner

Re: Porkkalalantie 50% resurfaced

Viesti Kirjoittaja VeloWagoner »

Hi gutvoy! Thanks for the great info! I'm going to try that as soon as possible. Are they still working on resurfacing the road all the way? Is it worth waiting a week or two for them to finish? I noticed there's a new Cafe at the end of the road. Have you tried it? Might be an excellent half way coffee stop. Maybe even a future velo meet up place. :-)
I'll investigate. ;-)

Petja

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

gutvyo

Work has completed as far as I could tell. Only painting the road marks is left. The coffee place is there some years (unless there is a new one I did not see), never stopped there. The one I refer to is much closer to the end, maybe 5km from the end of the road.
If weather permits I might ride there again next weekend. Would be nice to meet, maybe before the start of the road...

VeloWagoner

Jup, Cafe Porkkala is the name. I think it is the only one on this road.
I tried to find a way to the beginning of Porkkalantie yesterday but got lost in Kivenlahti Espoo. My GPS stopped working for some reason, then started using the bike lane signs but all the time ended in dead ends or carparks or similar.
If Espoo is trying to uncourage cycling they couldn't do a better job. Bike paths are in terrible condition and every road crossing involves four kerbstone bumbs. Not to mention the infrastructure in general where you have to bleed energy by braking on every downhill because there's an underway crossing with zero visibility. But in Espoo I wouldn't dare on the road. I'm so looking forward to this smooth Porkkalantie.

Cheers

Petja

gutvyo

Depending where you are coming from, the best way would be to get to Mankentie (Parallel to Keha III), there are a bit of construction work around Masala, but it is possible to get by. Around Jorvas the road change the name to Vanha Jorvaksentie, and if you follow this road towards Kirkkonumi, there is a left turn with a big sign to Porkkala. Road is turning left after passing below the train station, up to an interaction with road 51. Right in the first round about, straight in the next, and you are on Porkkalalantie. just note the bike path end after about 200m without much of a warning.

And I agree about Espoo, it is a car city, not encouraging bicycle as much as it should. However, compared with different parts of this world, we have bicycle paths almost everywhere, and the drivers are patient most of the time. So we can be happy after all.

VeloWagoner

Thanks gutvyo for sharing your favorite route to Porkkala. I'm living now in Tontunmäki (close to Niittykumpu metrostation) so I'll have a chance to try out different approaches to Porkkala. First I just have to cancel my frustation of getting lost in Kivenlahti by finding the correct route following road 51 all the way. Then I'm sure I'll try out your option. If weather holds I might actually go for it this coming Saturday.

Ralii
Treenaileva sisällöntuottaja

Viesti Kirjoittaja Ralii »

VeloWagoner kirjoitti:

Thanks gutvyo for sharing your favorite route to Porkkala. I'm living now in Tontunmäki (close to Niittykumpu metrostation) so I'll have a chance to try out different approaches to Porkkala. First I just have to cancel my frustation of getting lost in Kivenlahti by finding the correct route following road 51 all the way. Then I'm sure I'll try out your option. If weather holds I might actually go for it this coming Saturday.

Näyttökuva 2019-09-12 kello 20.59.21.png
Näyttökuva 2019-09-12 kello 20.59.21.png (291.1 KiB) Katsottu 4913 kertaa

I think this is the simplest one. It's on my work route and i use it almost daily.

Porkkala was in great condition compared to before. Drove it today.

I can post a longer router from porkkala to keilaniemi or pitäjänmäki if needed.

Optima Baron | 1kw Velogatti

VeloWagoner

Thanks Ralii! Yes, this is the one I memorized so I can't go wrong even if my GPS fails again.

VeloWagoner

I finally got to try out the newly surfaced Porkkalantie. Rode all the way to the cafe Porkkala (which was closed). A great ride indeed! Only the beginning from Niittykumpu to Kivenlahti was a bit of a nuisance, cycling infra mainly. But 74km altogether. I'm doing it again certainly.Kuva

VeloWagoner

Oh, and whatch out for a very nasty speed bumb on Vanha Porkkalantie closer to Tolsa train station if you for reason choose that route. I hit it at over 50km/h and didn't even see it until I was already on it. Had to stop to assess my damages. No warning of the bumb whatsoever. A true landmine! A rough estimate of its location here.Kuva

Vastaa Viestiin