Talvipyöräily

Onko mielessäsi nojapyöriin tai nojapyöräilyyn liittyvä kysymys? Haluatko kertoa kokemuksistasi? Kirjoita tänne ja saat varmasti vastauksia.

(Noja)Pyöräily tottumukset

Nojapyörällä kesät talvet

31%

Nojapyörällä kesät, talvet pystypyörällä

25%

Nojapyörällä kesät, talvella en pyöräile

20%

Pyörä fiiliksen, eikä vuodenajan mukaan

25%

Ääniä yhteensä: 114

oivavoi

Re: Talvipyöräily

Viesti Kirjoittaja oivavoi »

jviirret kirjoitti:

You need a good suspension :roll:

Thanks! Sorry for the late response - do you think suspension is useful during winter because of comfort, or more because it can make it easier for the wheels/bike to get over small heaps of ice and snow etc?

Wacky
Pistosuojattu sisällöntuottaja

Viesti Kirjoittaja Wacky »

oivavoi kirjoitti:
jviirret kirjoitti:

Thanks! Sorry for the late response - do you think suspension is useful during winter because of comfort, or more because it can make it easier for the wheels/bike to get over small heaps of ice and snow etc?

I started riding through winters with a Azub mini 20/20 (rear suspension only), which was pretty nasty mainly cause of the lack of selection in studded tires and the schwalbe marathon winters got the studs coming through the tire making punctures. Azub bikes are quite limited in tire width which got me first on a high racer with fat bike tires and now full suspension high "racer" with 3" wide tires.

Generally suspension is recommended, but you may get away without it. It depends a lot how well routes are plowed/brushed and salted where you plan to ride. Here in Helsinki the routes are plowed mostly pretty badly leaving a thick layer of snow that get compacted by people walking over it, which is anything but smooth to ride over.

When it comes to studded tires I rarely use them. I just have a set on second bike just for those few days of the year I need them. I hate the extra noise they make.

oivavoi

Wacky kirjoitti:
oivavoi kirjoitti:
jviirret kirjoitti:

I started riding through winters with a Azub mini 20/20 (rear suspension only), which was pretty nasty mainly cause of the lack of selection in studded tires and the schwalbe marathon winters got the studs coming through the tire making punctures. Azub bikes are quite limited in tire width which got me first on a high racer with fat bike tires and now full suspension high "racer" with 3" wide tires.

Generally suspension is recommended, but you may get away without it. It depends a lot how well routes are plowed/brushed and salted where you plan to ride. Here in Helsinki the routes are plowed mostly pretty badly leaving a thick layer of snow that get compacted by people walking over it, which is anything but smooth to ride over.

When it comes to studded tires I rarely use them. I just have a set on second bike just for those few days of the year I need them. I hate the extra noise they make.

Thanks, that's useful!

In Oslo bike paths are generally well plowed and salted (too much salt for my taste, but that's a another debate...). But one will always have to run through or over small snow bumps, heaps of snow, etc. So it's not ideal if the bike/wheels can't do that.

I see that you have the Specbike extrim now - cool! I've been thinking about that one. Compared to the Azub Max it is somewhat cheaper, and maybe it's stiffer and faster as well?

But - does it work in city traffic? I think it looks awesome, particularly for gravel and tracks etc. But given that I have a commute where I have to stop at least 5-6 times for red lights, and sometimes need to stop quickly and put me feet down if something happens, I've been wondering whether it's too high up and cumbersome for that kind of use... Do you use the stock 29 wheels, or rather 27.5 or 26?

As an alternative I've been thinking about the Schlitter Freestyle high-racer, without suspension. But it can take fat tires, and all ride reports I've seen so far indicate that the frame is built in a way which soaks up a lot of bumps, even without suspension. A good thing about that one is that it has adjustable weight distribution, as both the boom and the seat position can be adjusted.

(sorry again for coming here anglisizing your Finnish forum)

Vilijami

Viesti Kirjoittaja Vilijami »

oivavoi kirjoitti:

(sorry again for coming here anglisizing your Finnish forum)

Dont be worry. English is fine.

Pentti M Reku
Sisällöntuottajakokelas

Viesti Kirjoittaja Pentti M Reku »

I think Wacky is quite tall, looking at proportions in pictures - that should help with the kind of bike he rides. I ride with 26" wheels, mtb tyres and full suspension, but my height really makes it a bit of struggle sometimes, especially combined with lean angle of my bike. So highracer style bike even with suspension is harder in urbar environment,at least if you are not a tall person.

For tyres, I must agree with Wacky on Marathon Winters, they suck. Light casing fast rolling knobbies with sticky compound works fine for most winter riding, extreme ice might benefit from studs. I have some cheap studded mtb tyres that are actually super slippery on some winter conditions just because of the hard rubber compound. Havent ridden with Ice Spikers, but they might be better.

Just get some knobbies for your 'P38 and see how it goes. Riding position looks pretty good for city riding at least.

Edit: Now that I remembered, theres also the option of making your own studded tyres. I think Schwalbe sells an insertion tool and their studs separately. I traded some tyres for nickname terppa too for the purpose of salvaging studs for DIY fatbike studded tyres. Maybe he could chime in if it worked or not? I can´t see why not, if you find a tyre with big enough knobs to drill and insert your studs with some glue.

oivavoi

Thanks guys!

This is really useful. Unfortunately I don't know anybody in Norway who rides a recumbent bike during winters, so nobody to ask there :)

It's probably a good advice to just start out with the P-38. I think it's basically a perfect bike for city traffic, so might be worth it to see if I can make it work for commuting during winter as well. And if not, then look for something else.

PW
KOM

Viesti Kirjoittaja PW »

We hope you remember to tell us how it works ;)

Petri

Nojapyöräfoorumi toimii hyvin, aina saa vastauksen vaikkei kysyiskään mitään.

Wacky

Viesti Kirjoittaja Wacky »

oivavoi kirjoitti:

Thanks guys!

This is really useful. Unfortunately I don't know anybody in Norway who rides a recumbent bike during winters, so nobody to ask there :)

It's probably a good advice to just start out with the P-38. I think it's basically a perfect bike for city traffic, so might be worth it to see if I can make it work for commuting during winter as well. And if not, then look for something else.

I think it's a good idea to get a feel for winter riding with what you already have and then start considering something based on what you learn from the attempt.

oivavoi kirjoitti:

I see that you have the Specbike extrim now - cool! I've been thinking about that one. Compared to the Azub Max it is somewhat cheaper, and maybe it's stiffer and faster as well?

I don't think there is much difference between the two in those metrics. Extrim is steel and Azubs are aluminium, both result in a bike around the same weight. They aren't really fast bikes, but you can spec them up to get a little more speed, but they aren't racing bikes.
My bike is totally custom 27,5" wheels. Front wheel has a dynamo and the rear hub is 170mm so I can use 3" tires without clearance issues. Rear fork was built on request for those tires and hub.

oivavoi

Wacky kirjoitti:

I think it's a good idea to get a feel for winter riding with what you already have and then start considering something based on what you learn from the attempt.

Wise words! That's a plan, I think. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Pentti M Reku
Sisällöntuottajakokelas

Viesti Kirjoittaja Pentti M Reku »

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-S43 ... Dn27-L.jpg

Mitäs mieltä talvipyöräilijät on lwb konseptista? Lähteekö keula alta mutkissa? En ainakaan tosta ohjauksesta suuremmin innostu, itse tehden etäohjaus olis varmaan parempi vaihtoehto. Rungossa/rungon alla olisi mukavasti tilaa pattereille ja napamoottorin voisi ripustaa pyörittelemään kampia ketjuvälityksellä.

jviirret

Viesti Kirjoittaja jviirret »

Ne talvet kun kuljin töissä nojapyörällä ajoin lwb:llä, clwb:llä ja python trikellä. Ei se eturenkaan pito vaan laajat ohjausliikkeet joita paksussa lumessa hitaasti ajaessa tulee... Oli siis tuollaisella suoralla yläohjauksella. Clwbssä oli tuo asia kunnossa, mutta vain 20"renkaat.

Sitten otin askeleen takaisinpäin ja nyt kulkenut jo vuodet CF pystypyörällä. Välilevytkin kiittää :)

Riman ali ja suoraa ohi maalin...

Vilijami

Viesti Kirjoittaja Vilijami »

jviirret kirjoitti:

Sitten otin askeleen takaisinpäin ja nyt kulkenut jo vuodet CF pystypyörällä.

Aluksi ylenkatsoin tätä kehitystä taaksepäin, mutta tämän kesän aikana 406 CF on useimmin tarttunut lenkille mukaan. :oops:

PW
KOM

Viesti Kirjoittaja PW »

Talvi tuli tänne Kaakkoonkin, lunta tuprutti eilisen. Tänään läskillä liikkeelle, pyörätiet oli putsattu, risteyksissä kuitenkin valleja ja paikoin paksuhko pohja pehmennyt. Pehmeässä sohjossa kulkeneilla pyörillä ollut selvästi vaikeuksia, renkaan jäljistä päätellen. Läski kuitenkin kulki läpi vallien ja yli sohjon - rentoa on meno nojakilla talvellakin, kuin kesällä konsaan 8) tykkään :mrgreen:

Petri

Nojapyöräfoorumi toimii hyvin, aina saa vastauksen vaikkei kysyiskään mitään.

Pastori
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Pastori »

PW kirjoitti:

Talvi tuli tänne Kaakkoonkin, lunta tuprutti eilisen. Tänään läskillä liikkeelle, pyörätiet oli putsattu, risteyksissä kuitenkin valleja ja paikoin paksuhko pohja pehmennyt. Pehmeässä sohjossa kulkeneilla pyörillä ollut selvästi vaikeuksia, renkaan jäljistä päätellen. Läski kuitenkin kulki läpi vallien ja yli sohjon - rentoa on meno nojakilla talvellakin, kuin kesällä konsaan 8) tykkään :mrgreen:

Joko kävit museossa?

terppa

Viesti Kirjoittaja terppa »

Lahdessa on jollain keskustan pyöräväylillä kokeilu talvihoidosta harjasuolaustyylillä.

Kahden päivän perusteella aika loistava. Tänään aamulla oli paikoin liukasta kun penkan sulamisvedet oli jäätyneet mutta kotiinpäin oli taas kuin kesäkeli. n. 3 km tätä on mahdollisuus ajaa työmatkalla.

Vähenee ensivuonna pyöräilyt jos/kun alan pitämään työautoa kotipihassa, 30 km vähemmän työauton mittariin/päivä. Ehkä pitää taas ruveta polkemaan huvikseen :?

Nojasyklismiä vuodesta 2010

"Nojapyöräily on parasta mitä voi tehdä housut jalassa mutta kinnerillä voi ajaa myös ilman housuja"

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Vastaa Viestiin